Monday, October 6, 2014

3-Day Dollar Store Pumpkin Make-Over

Day 3:  Vintage Pumpkin

 
 
 
     For the last pumpkin in our 3-day series of Dollar Store Pumpkin Make-Overs, I decided to end on a Vintage note.  Vintage is king these days when it comes to décor and even fashion trends.  Stores everywhere are selling new merchandise that looks vintage and antique stores are thriving as people seek out unique décor ideas.  How can a budget savvy Fall Girl jump in on this trend?  With a Dollar Store pumpkin, some Mod Podge and a little ingenuity, of course!
 
 

    
     Today we're going to start with the now familiar form of our homely Dollar Store pumpkin.  This little foam doozy is anything but vintage.  The first step for today's transformation is to pop that little stem nub right off.
 
 
     Next pick out two 12x12 sheets of your favorite scrapbook paper.  I chose to work in complimentary vintage colors but you can use any combination of colors and prints that you like.  If you want a Halloween themed pumpkin, haul out your bright, holiday print paper.  You can even make a pumpkin to match your current home décor by choosing papers that have the same color palate of your home.  The beauty in this project is that it can look like whatever tickles your fancy.
 
     Now, rip your scrapbook paper into little pieces of varying sizes.  My biggest piece was about 2x4 inches long and my smallest pieces were 1x1 inches long.  This does not have to be an exact science.  Have fun ripping that paper up.  (My daughter helped me with this part of the project and she said it was very therapeutic after a stressful day at work.  I like to call that "Craft Therapy".)  I wanted my vintage pumpkin to look pieced together, but if you'd like a more uniform look for your pumpkin, use 2 sheets of the same paper and tear them in bigger strips. 
 


 
     Once your paper is all ripped up, open the Mod Podge and pour some on a paper plate.  I used the "Glossy" Mod Podge because I like a bright finish, but you can use a Matte finish if you'd like something less shiny.  Using a foam paint brush, apply a thick layer of Mod Podge to the top 3/4 of the pumpkin. 
 
     Begin applying the strips of paper to the pumpkin, pushing firmly to adhere to the ridges.  If your paper is not lying smoothly on the pumpkin, coat the top generously with more Mod Podge and continue pressing and forming.  Repeat until the top 3/4 of your pumpkin is covered with paper.  You'll finish the bottom of your pumpkin later.  Cover all the paper with a layer of Mod Podge and let dry for a few hours.
 
     Once your pumpkin is dry, repeat the same procedure to finish covering the bottom of your pumpkin.  Then take a good look at your pumpkin and patch any gaps where orange is peeking through with more paper strips and Mod Podge.  This layer will finish off your pumpkin, so use your creativity to showcase any special symbols or words that you want showing on your pumpkin.  Cover the entire pumpkin once more in a thin layer of Mod Podge.  Let Dry.
 
    
     For the finishing touches, I rooted around the flower beds in my backyard and found a piece of bark that looked like a "stem".  Once the pumpkin was dry, I used a pencil to poke a hole through the lacquered finish on top of the foam pumpkin and widened it until it was big enough for me to push the bark through the top.  Then I draped this little "Autumn" tag around the stem and added a miniature clothes pin (I think miniature clothes pins are about the cutest thing in the world!)  And there you have it:  A Vintage pumpkin that won't break the bank.

     I hope you've enjoyed the past 3 days of pumpkin make-overs.  I know I have!  I see another trip to the Dollar Store to buy more pumpkins in my immediate future.  This was even more fun than carving a pumpkin.

     Don't forget to join me here tomorrow, for Day 7 of our 31 Days of Fall.  I'll be sharing a recipe for an adorable, guilt-free, Fall Girl dessert that's ready to eat in just under 10 minutes.

 
     
 





No comments:

Post a Comment