Sunday, October 19, 2014

Happy Sweetest Day! And Other Holidays You Never Knew Existed.

     How many holidays are there in the month of October?  I bet you all got Halloween and Columbus Day, but how many of you got "Moldy Cheese Day"?  Or "National Nut Day"?
 
     According to the website, "Holiday Insights", there are 67 holidays and special observances in the month of October. 
 
     I was alerted to my ignorance of obscure October holidays last week, when my super fun friend, Lori, handed me a gift bag and said exuberantly, "Happy Sweetest Day!"  I confess that I had no idea what she was talking about, but I am a girl who loves gifts so I was all too excited to open it up.   Inside were all the fixings to make Kenyan Chai Masala.  
         
 
Lori even threw in some "pumpkin spice" tea bags so I could tailor the chai to my specific tastes. 
Only the best friends know about your weird addictions.
 

   You may be asking, just what is Kenyan Chai Masala?

 

 
     "Chai" simply means "tea"; specifically, tea that's brewed with milk, spices and sweetener.  There are about a million spice blends used to make different flavored chai.  Lori discovered this recipe while on a missions trip to Kenya, Africa.



.
 
Lori's Linguistic Travel Tip: 
When traveling in other countries, never ask for "Chai Tea". 
Unless, of course, you enjoy being snickered at. 
Ordering Chai Tea is the equivalent of asking for "tea tea" or "milk milk". 
Just ask for chai, everyone will know what you mean. 
 
 
 
     Needless to say, I was so touched by such an unexpected gift, I had to find out more about the holiday that prompted it. 
 
 
I'm including this illustration because I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what Lori and I look like the vast majority of the time we're together.  Especially when there are gifts and holidays involved.
 
 


    
     "Sweetest Day" was invented by Herbert Kingston in 1922 and is celebrated on the third Saturday in October.  Mr. Kingston had a soft heart for orphans, shut-ins and people in need.  He wanted "Sweetest Day" to be a day to recognize those who are often overlooked.  He began giving small gifts and chocolates to the "sweetest" people he could find. 
 
     Today the tradition has broadened to include the tradition of giving gifts to anyone that you find "sweet".  (You can only imagine how honored I felt to be included on Lori's list.) 
 
     Now in the spirit of our fun friendship, I am on the prowl to find another obscure holiday to surprise Lori with this month.  Join me tomorrow as I explore some of the comical, lesser-known and downright bizarre holidays that befall the month of October.  You just might get an inspired idea to surprise one of your "sweetest" friends too.

No comments:

Post a Comment