Thursday, October 2, 2014

8 Steps to Decorate Your Fall Girl Mantle

 

Fall Girl Mantle




"I say to myself that I shall try to make my life like an open fireplace, so that people may be warmed and cheered by it and so go out themselves to warm and cheer."  - George Matthew Adams
 
 
     If there's one thing a Fall Girl loves, it's decorating for the season.  I make myself wait until September 1st before the Fall stuff comes out.  It's a struggle to wait that long, I'm not going to lie.  One of my favorite places to decorate for Fall is the fireplace mantle.  I was going to start the fireplace up to show you how pretty is looks with a roaring fire, but it's almost 90 degrees where I live and I'm afraid things would melt if I added some open flame to the picture.
 
     Here are some simple step-by-step instructions to give you an idea of different ways you can decorate your mantle.  Don't have a mantle?  You can follow the same easy principles to create a beautiful Fall themed display table.
 

Step 1:  Leaf Garland


     Leaf Garland is one of those things that you don't want to pinch pennies on.  Do they sell leaf garland at the Dollar Store?  Yes, they do.  But if you can spend just a little bit more, you can get some really nice, quality leaf garland that will last for years.  I bought this garland at Michael's with a 40% off coupon.  Take your leaf garland and center it on your mantle.  I fluff the leaves a little to make it look full and kind of careless.

Step 2:  Floral Arrangement

 
I love getting large neutral focal points for my mantle like this off-white pitcher that my Mom bought for my birthday.  It's perfect for seasonal decorating.  In the spring, I fill it with cherry blossoms, on St. Patrick's Day it holds fun greenery, and at Christmas it spills over with poinsettia.  In the Fall, it holds silk flowers in my favorite Fall color palate.  To make a similar arrangement, go to the floral section of your favorite store and pick three colors (this one is orange, yellow and red).  Then mix and match flowers and greenery in that same color scheme.  Just play around with different flowers, shapes and textures until you find something that looks pretty to you.

Step 3:  Opposing Anchor Point

     If I have something large on one side of the mantle, I want something about the same size (but not identical) on the other side for balance.  This little birdcage is another one of my favorite neutral focal points.  Here it's pictured with mini pumpkins, but you can fill your own birdcage with whatever tickles your fancy.  If you want a spooky mantle, you could put a big spider or ugly rat in it.  I'm more of a fall colors kind of girl, but the beautiful thing about a bird cage is you can use it in any whimsical way you choose.
 

Step 4:  Pretty Little Pumpkin

 

     This little ceramic pumpkin was a gift from my friend, Michelle.  Word has apparently gotten out that I have a little "thing" (aka weird obsession) with all things Fall.  If people suddenly start giving you pumpkin themed gifts . . . you might be a Fall Girl.  I nestled this little beauty close to the floral arrangement.  It's filled with Werther's caramel candies so you can actually taste the Fall.

Step 5:  A Candle

     Not only do I like my house to look like Fall, I like it to smell like Fall.  This cute little metal candle holder has leaf shapes cut into the metal.  When a candle is lit inside, it casts little leaf shadows dancing on the wall.  It delights me to no end.  I placed it next to the birdcage on the right of the mantle.  Of course, there's a pumpkin scented candle inside (which was also a gift--are you detecting the theme of my life yet?)
 
 

Step 6:  A Centerpiece

     In this arrangement, I kept my centerpiece intentionally muted.  I just love the natural look of this rattan pumpkin.  I found it a few years ago in the "One Spot" at Target for a dollar.  Score!  I poked a little leaf greenery around the stem to give it a pop of color.  This little pumpkin has two identical pumpkin twins that I have starring in another fall display on my dining room table.  I'll show them to you another day.
 
 

Step 7:  Fat Little Birds

    In my book, there's nothing more adorable than a fat little bird.  So of course I had to grace my mantle with two of the ceramic cuties.  These little ceramic birds are everywhere.  Just because I think fat birds are the greatest, doesn't mean you have to.  Little accent pieces like this are the perfect place to let your personal taste and whimsy shine.  Maybe you like ravens, scarecrows, Indian corn . . . the possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
 

Step 8:  Sit Back and Enjoy the View

     Make sure you take time to just sit back, relax and enjoy the season.  Fall is only here for a few short months every year.  Light your pumpkin candle, pop a Werther's caramel in your mouth, light your fireplace (if it's not 90 degrees where you live) and bask in the beautiful, cozy glow of Fall.  
 
 
     Those are the steps I followed to decorate my mantle this year.  Do you like to change your home décor for the season?  What are your favorite tricks and tips?  Leave a comment below and share your thoughts or send me a picture of your favorite mantle.  I'll see you back here tomorrow for another day of Fall Girl Fun!
 


















 
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment